Dr. S.S. Verma
Educational Qualifications : Ph.D in Sciences (Physics) awarded in 1990 by IIT Delhi.
Ph.D. thesis title: “Investigation of erision and transport properties in MHD Power Generator”
M.Sc. (Physics) passed in 1982 from H.P.University, Shimla.
Teaching Experience : 20 years (Since Dec 6, 1994)
• Professor (October 2011 onwards)
• Associate Professor (Oct. 2009 to October 2011)
• Assistant Professor (06/12/2003 to Oct. 2009)
• Senior lecturer (06/12/1998 to 06/12/2003)
• Lecturer (06/12/1994 to 05/12/1998)
At SLIET, Longowal
• Assistant Professor (from Oct 2004 to July 2006) at Gondar University, Ethiopia
Research Experience : 30 years (Since 1983) in the field of Energy/Pollution studies.
(i) Project RA & RA (CSIR) at IIT Delhi
(July 1990 to Sept 1991)
(ii) Post doctoral Fellow in Japan
(Oct. 1991 to March 1993)
(iii)Project Associate at IITDelhi
(April 1993 to Nov., 1994)
Seminar/Conferences Attended : 20
Short-Term/Refresher Courses Attended : 15
Seminar/Course conducted in the Department
National Seminar on “Materials Science:Trends & in the Department Future(MSTF-2000)” from 24-25 Feb 2000.
Short Term Course on “Ferroelectric Materials: State of Art Technology” from 14-26, 2000.
1st National Conference on Advanced Materials and Radiation Physics (AMRP-09), March 9-10, 2009
2nd National Conference on Advanced Materials and Radiation Physics (AMRP-11), Nov. 4-5, 2011
3rd National Conference on Advanced Materials and Radiation Physics (AMRP-13), Nov. 4-5, 2013
Life Member, IPA, Bombay
Life Member, IACS, Calcutta
Life Member, IC-ICTP, New Delhi
Life Member, PSSI, Ahmedabad
Life Member, Punjab Academy of Science
• First Class first position in B.Sc. & B.A. at G.D. College, Bilaspur (H.P.), 1980.
• H.P.University Merit scholarship in M.Sc. Physics, July, 1980-July, 1982.
• Gold Medalist in M.Sc. Physics, H.P. university, 1982.
• H.P.University UGC merit scholarship for graduate studies (not joined)
• J.R.F. & S.R.F. (Feb., 1983-August, 1988), Dept. of Physics, IIT Delhi.
• Japanese Government Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (MONBUSHO) fellowship at Dept. of Energy Engineering, Toyohashi University of Technology, Toyohashi, 441, Japan.
• Indian Academy of Science (IAS) fellowship 2003.
• Indian National Science Academy fellowship 2004.
• Listed biographee in Marqu’s Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (USA) 9th edition , 2006-2007; 10th edition , 2007-2008; 11th edition , 2008-2009; 12th edition , 2009-2010, 13th edition , 2010-2011, 14th edition , 2011-2012
• Listed biographee in Marqu’s Who’s Who in World (USA) 2008-2009. 2009-2010
Research Papers : 107
General Articles : 600
Conference papers/abstracts : 100
Publications in National/International Journals
1. Effect of Erosion on Conductivity Measurements of Seeded Combustion Plasma, S.S.Verma and B.K.Sawhney, Energy Conversion and Management, 1(1988) 11
2. Optimum Liquid Fuel Mixture for MHD Power Generator, S.S.Verma and B.K.Sawhney, Energy Conversion and Management, 28(1988) 137
3. Optimum Gaseous Fuel Combination for MHD Utility, B.K.Sawhney and S.S. Verma, Energy Conversion and Management, 2(1988) 77
4. Suitability of Indian Coal for Coal-Fired MHD Generators, B.K.Sawhney and S.S. Verma, IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, 17 (1989) 839
5. Plant Performance of a Coal-fired MHD Generator, B.K.Sawhney and S.S. Verma, Int. J. of Energy Research, 14(1990) 433
6. Parametric Study of Plant Efficiency for an Open-cycle Steam-Bottomed MHD Plant Using Water Gas-LPG Mixture as Fuel, B.K.Sawhney and S.S. Verma, Int. J. of Energy Research, 15(1991) 223
7. Analytical Study of Pollutants and Their Control in MHD Generators, B.K.Sawhney, S.S. Verma and Sanjay Kumar, Energy Conversion and Management, 24(1992) 201
8. Optimum Power Generator with Kerosene oil-Heavy Fuel Oil Mixture as Working Fluid, B.K.Sawhney and S.S.Verma, Energy Conversion and Management, 36(5)(1995) 343
9. Performance of MHD Retrofit Channel with Diagonal Electrode Geometry, A.Chandra, B.S.Bhadoria and S.S.Verma, Energy Conversion and Management, 37(3)(1996) 311
10. Solar-assisted liquid metal MHD power generation: a state of the art study, S C Kaushik, S S Verma and A Chandra, Applied Thermal Engineering 15 (7) (1995) 675-689
11. To Study the Suitability of Some Liquid Metals/Alloys for Liquid Metal Magnetohydrodynamic (LMMHD) Power Generation, S.S.Verma and S.C.Verma, The Journal of Institution of Engineers (Mechanical Section), 78(1998) 70
12. Kinetics of N2O formation and destruction from coal combustion at low temperatures, S.S.Verma, T.Niwa and K.Okazaki, Int. J. of Energy Research (U.K.): 25 (2001)165
13. Effect of Combustion Temperature on the Gas-Phase Formation & Destruction of Nitrous Oxide (N2O), S.S.Verma, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 8 (2001)62
14. Roles of various oxides of sulfur and nitrogen in air pollution, S S Verma, Environmental Pollution Control Journal, 4 (5) (2001) 47
15. Eco-friendly alternative refrigeration systems (Part1: Magnetic and Thermoelectric Refrigeration & Part II: Thermo acoustic Refrigeration) S S Verma, Resonance, 6(10) (2001)57-67 & 6(11) (2001) 63-67
16. Parametric Studies of N2O Formation and Destruction Mechanisms, S.S.Verma, Int. J. Energy Conversion and Management (USA), 43 (13) (2002) 1737
17. To study the direct transformation of methane into methanol at lower temperature range S.S.Verma, Int. J. Energy Conversion and Management (USA), 43 (15) (2002) 1999
18. Nitrous oxide formation and destruction from coal combustion under FBC conditions, SS Verma, Energy & Fuels Users’ Journal, LI (4) (2002) 34
19. Nitrogen dioxide formation at ambient temperature, S.S.Verma, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 9(2) (2002) 159
20. Formation and destruction of sulfur oxides with temperature, S.S.Verma, Indian Journal of Environmental Health (NEERI) Nagpur (2002)
21. Chemical kinetic modeling of higher temperature ethanol oxidation, S.S.Verma, J. Chemical & Environmental Research (AMU), 11 (3-4) (2002)
22. Oxidation characteristics of ethanol at lower temperatures, S.S.Verma, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 11(2002) 410
23. Formation and destruction of sulphur oxides with temperature, S.S.Verma, J Indian Inst Environ Manag, 29(2)(2002), 96-101
24. The role of sulfur oxides in the formation/destruction of nitrous oxides, S.S.Verma, Proceedings of the EnerEnv 2003 Conf. on Energy & Environment: a world of challenges and opportunities, Published by Science Press, New York (2003) 725
25. Magic pill for longevity, S.S.Verma, J. of Punjab Academy of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 4 (2004)
26. Producing biofuel in a new way, S.S.Verma, Nandini Chemical Journal, 13(2) (2005) 12
27. Growing dimensions of research, S.S.Verma, IAPT Bulletin, 23 (1) (2006) 14
28. Portable explosive detector: recent development S.S.Verma, Nandini Chemical Journal, (2006)
29. Bio energy with genetically controlled photosynthesis, S.S.Verma, Nandini Chemical Journal, 13 (5) (2006) 35
30. World of terahertz rays, Physics Education, S.S.Verma, 23(4)(2007) 259
31. Floating nuclear power plants, S.S.Verma, Int. Journal of Nuclear Desalination, 2(4)(2007) 311
32. Biofuel: power from the poor, S.S.Verma, Environmental pollution control journal, 10(5) (2007) 73
33. Problems solving basics in physics, S.S.Verma, Indian Journal of Technical Education, 2007
34. Nano Power, S.S.Verma, Bulletin on Energy Efficiency, 7 (2007)
35. Free Power, S.S.Verma, Bulletin on Energy Efficiency, 7 (2007)
36. To build a simple electric motor, S.S.Verma, IAPT Bulletin, 25(5) (2008) 174
37. Roads from plastic waste, S.S.Verma, Indian Concrete Journal (ICJ), 82 (11) (2008) 43
38. Green Computing, , S.S.Verma, Punjab Institute of Management and Technology (PIMT) journal of Research (Published) (2008)
39. Firefighting advances, , S.S.Verma, Fire Engineer Journal (Institution of Fire Engineers (India)), 33 (1-3) (2008)1
40. Air powered vehicles, The open fuels and energy science journal, S.S.Verma, 1(2008) 54-56
41. Industry-Institute Interaction: A SLIET Experience, S.S.Verma, Pardeep Jain and Sarabjit Singh, Indian Journal of Technical Education (ISTE), vol. 31, no. 4, pp.31-35, October-December, 2008
42. Hi-Tech Human Body of Tomorrow, S.S. Verma, Trends in
Biomaterials & Artificial Organs: an International Journal Published by the
Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs India, 21(2) (2008) 124-126.
43. Effect of magnetic and electric field dynamics on copper-iron thermocouple performance, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Asian Journal of Chemistry (Supplementary issue 2009), Vol. 21, No. 10, pp. S056-S061.
44. Performance Comparison of Some Common Thermocouples For The Waste Heat Utilization, Vinod Kumar, Jaspal Singh and S S Verma, Asian Journal of Chemistry (Supplementary issue 2009), Vol. 21, No. 10, pp. S062-S065.
45. Plasmonics with Nanostructure Materials, Jagmeet Singh and SS Verma, Asian Journal of Chemistry (Supplementary issue 2009), Vol. 21, No. 10, pp. S081-S085.
46. Oral communication: a key to success for engineers, Pardeep Jain, SS Verma & Sarika Jain, Indian Journal of Technical Education, Vol. 32, No.3, pp.35-38, July-September 2009.
47. Parametric Study of Compressed Air As Energy Source, SS Verma, Environmental pollution control journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 49-52, January-February 2010.
48. Problems Emerging in technical education, SS Verma, The Indian Journal of Technical Education, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 87-92, April-June, 2010.
49. Enhancing Physics Learning and Research in Relevance to Technical Education, S S Verma, Indian Journal of Technical Education (2010)
50. Effect of operating parameters on the performance of thermocouples, Jaspal Singh and S S Verma, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, vol. 5, no. 17, pp. 2957-2964, 2010.
51. Effect of mechanical stress on the generation of thermo-emf for copper-constantan thermocouple, Jaspal Singh and S S Verma Indian Journal of Engineering, Science, and Technology ISSN: 0973-6255 Vol. 4 , No.1, pp. 104-107, January- June 2010.
52. Solar-Assisted Thermoelectric Refrigeration, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Akshay Urja (MNRE), vol. 3, issue 5, pp.27-29, April 2010.
53. Role of plasmonics in next generation communication, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, IAPT Bulletin, Vol. 3, No.1., pp. 7-10, , January 2011.
54. Progressing towards inexpensive & highly efficient solar cells, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Electrical India, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 56-62, January 2011.
55. Refractive Index Sensitivity Analysis of Ag, Au and Cu Nanoparticles, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Plasmonics 6 (2) 311-317 (2011)
56. Optimal Dimensions of Gold Nanorod for Plasmonic Nanosensors, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Plasmonics 6 (1) 163-169 (2011),
57. Plasmonics: the future wave of communication , Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Current Science 101(4) 484-488 (2011)
58. Study of Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) In a Nano-Structured Material, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2(4): 227-230, October –December 2011
59. Cu, CuO, and Cu2O Nanoparticle Plasmons for Enhanced Scattering in Solar Cells, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Conference Paper, Optics for Solar Energy (OSE) Austin, Texas November 2, 2011, Joint Poster Session PV/SOLAR/SOLED/E2 (JWE)
Published in Renewable Energy and the Environment, OSA Technical Digest (CD) (Optical Society of America, 2011), paper JWE22.
60. Growing computing power, S.S.Verma, IAPT Bulletin (accepted) (2012)
61. Teaching science with videos and animations, S.S.Verma, IAPT Bulletin (accepted) (2012)
62. Computing with magnets, S.S.Verma, IAPT Bulletin (accepted) (2012)
63. Influence of aspect ratio and surrounding medium on localized surface plasmon resonance (LSPR) of gold nanorod, SS Verma and Jagmeet Singh Sekhon, J. of Optics (2012)
64. Tunable Plasmonic Properties of Silver Nanorods for nanosensing applications, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, J. Mat. Sci.(2012)47:1930-1937
65. Rational Selection of nanorod plasmons: material, size, and shape dependence mechanism for optical sensors, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Plasmonics (2012)
66. Magnetic field dynamics of Thermo-Emf Generation in the High Temperature Range, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (RJET) (2012).
67. Semiconducting Pallets (Bi2Te3, Pb2Te3 and Bi2Pb3): As the Thermo Power Generation Elements, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, 978-1-4577-1964-6/12/$31.00 ©2012 IEEE
68. Latest Developments of a Compressed Air Vehicle: A Status Report, SS Verma, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering (Automotive Engineering), Volume 13 Issue 1 Version 1.0 Year 2013, pp. 29-39.
69. Energy conversion efficiencies of thermoelectric pallets (Bi2Pb3,Bi2Te3 and Pb2Te3) under the influences of electric and magnetic fields, Jaspal Singh and S. S. Verma, AIP Conf. Proc. 1536, 1213 (2013); doi: 10.1063/1.4810676.
70. Effect of surrounding medium on light absorption characteristics of CdSe, CdS & CdTe nanospheres and their comparison, Amit Bansal, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon, and S. S. Verma, AIP Conf. Proc. 1536, 267 (2013); doi: 10.1063/1.4810203.
71. Tailoring surface plasma resonance wavelength and sensing potential of core shell metal nanoparticles, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon, H K Malik and SS Verma, Sensor letters, 11(3):512-518, 03/2013.
72. DDA simulation of noble metals and their nanocubes for tunable optical properties in biological imaging and sensing, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon, H K Malik and SS Verma, RSC Advances, 2013,3 (35), 15427-15434
73. Scattering efficiency and LSPR tunability of bimetallic Ag, Au, and Cu nanoparticles, Amit Bansal, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and S.S.Verma, Plasmonics J. (2013) (DOI 10.1007/s11468-013-9607-x).
74. Studying Physics, SS Verma, IAPT Bulletin (2013) (accepted)
75. Tunable Absorption Characteristics of ZnS Nanoparticles with Doping, S S Verma, Indian Journal of Applied Engineering Research (IJAER) (GBS Publishers & Distributor, India), vol. 1, no.1, pp.1-10, 2013
76. Simulations to Enhance Near-Bandgap Light Absorption in Si Solar Cells with Noble Metal Nanoparticles, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and S S Verma, Indian Journal of Advanced Materials Science (JAMS) 1(1) (2013) 1-7.
77. Plasmonic simulations of copper and aluminium nanoparticles for heating and imaging applications, Jagameet Singh Sekhon and S S Verma, Indian Journal of Nanotechnology and Applications (JNA) Vol. 1, No. 1(2013).
78. A Comparison of Figure of Merit for Some Common Thermocouples in the High Temperature Range, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma , Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Electrical and Electronics Engineering Volume 13 Issue 11 Version 1.0 Year 2013, pp.6-12
79. Investigations to study the Effect of Magnetic Field on Water, SS Verma and Surbhi Verma
• Environmental Pollution Control Journal, vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 48-54, November-December 2013
• Chemical Business, vol. 27, no.11, pp.9-14, 2013
80. Effect of Operating Conditions in Precise Measurements with Thermocouples, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Indian Journal of Applied Engineering Research (IJAER) (GBS Publishers & Distributor, India) (accepted)
81. Simulated absorption and scattering efficiencies of semicomductor coated Au nanoshells, Amit Bansal and SS Verma, Plasmonics DOI 10.1007/s11468-013-9629-4
82. Magnetic field dynamics of thermo-emf generation in the high temperature range, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Materials Science: an Indian Journal, Vol. 11 (1), pp.19-24, 2014)
83. LSPR tunable light enhancement of carbon@gold nanoparticles, Amit Bansal, and SS Verma, In the proceedings of 3rd National Conference on Advanced Materials and Radiation Physics (AMRP-2013), Nov.22-23, 2013, published online by Int. J. of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT) (ESRSA Publications) ( March 2014) (www.ijert.org), pp. 15-17.
84. Magnetic field dynamics of thermo-emf generation in the high temperature range, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, In the proceedings of 3rd National Conference on Advanced Materials and Radiation Physics (AMRP-2013), Nov.22-23, 2013, published online by Int. J. of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT) (ESRSA Publications) ( March 2014) (www.ijert.org), pp. 42-46.
85. Progress in metallic hydrogen as a fuel, SS Verma, Chemical technology: an Indian Journal (Trade Science Inc) (March 2014) (Accepted)
86. Searching alternative plasmonics materials for specific applications, Amit Bansal, and SS Verma, Indian Journal of Materials Science (Hindwai Publications) (Published)
87. Study of plasmonics coupling of bimetallic Au-Ag, Au-Cu, Ag-Cu nanoparticles arrays, Amit Bansal and SS Verma, AIP Advances, 4 (5), 057104 (2014)
88. Influence of electric field dynamics on the generation of thermo-emf by some advanced thermocouples in the high temperature range, Jaspal Singh and SS Verma, Materials Sciences: an Indian Journal (Trade Science Inc) Article ID 897125, (10 pages) (2014) Volume 11 Issue 11, article no. 4
89. Controlling the LSPR properties of Au triangular nanoprisms and nanoboxes by geometrical parameter: a numerical investigation, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, J. of Modern Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2014.954650, Published online: 03 Sep 2014 (IF = 1.169)
90. Optical Response of Noble Metal Alloy Nanostructures, Amit Bansal and S S Verma, Physics Letters A 379 (2015) 163–169 (IF=1.626)
91. Combustion characteristics of CNG with some gaseous additives, SS Verma, International Journal of Chemical Engineering (Hindawi Publisher) (submitted on 10.07.2015)
92. Technologies for stubble use, SS Verma, Journal of Agriculture and Life Sciences (USA) ISSN 2375-4214 (Print), 2375-4222 (Online)Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 106-109, December 2014
93. Dimensional and compositional dependent analysis of plasmonic bimetallic nanorods, Amit Bansal, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and SS Verma, Journal of Modern Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1063725 (July 2015 2015)
94. Influence of shape, size, and surrounding medium on plasmonic response of Au-Ag-Cu trimetallic nanoparticles, Amit Bansal and SS Verma, AIP Conference Proceeding (2015) AIP Conf. Proc. 1675, 030083 (2015); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4929299.
95. Resistance temperature detective materials as the thermo power generator elements, Jaspal Singh and S.S.Verma, AIP Conf. Proc. 1675, 030010 (2015); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4929226.
96. Meaning of neutrino having mass, S.S.Verma, Journal Punjab Academy of Sciences, Vol. 13 & 14, No. 1&2, pp. 45-48, January-December (2014-2015).
97. Practical applications for Doppler Effect of light, S.S.Verma, Journal Punjab Academy of Sciences, Vol. 13 & 14, No. 1&2, pp. 45-48, January-December (2014-2015).
98. Optical properties of bimetallic (Ag-Cu) core-noble metal shell nanoparticles, Amit Bansal and SS Verma, J. of Optics (India) (February 2016) DOI 10.1007/s12596-016-0319-4
99. Towards Plasmonic Solar Cells, Gurjit Singh and S.S. Verma, Materials Science: an Indian journal (Trade Science Inc), vol. 14, issue 13, pp.1-7.
100. Cu Nanoparticle Plasmons to Enhance GaAs Solar Cell Efficiency, Gurjit Singh, Jagmeet Singh Sekhon and S S Verma, The International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics-Photonics 16, at IIT Kanpur, 4-8 December 2016.
Published in OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2016), paper W3A.14 (https://doi.org/10.1364/PHOTONICS.2016.W3A.14).
101. Smog free tower, SS Verma, Clean India Journal, (January 2016)
102. Progressing highlights towards efficient plasmonic solar cells, Gurjit Singh and SS Verma, GJRE Volume 17 Issue 1 Version 1.0, pp.35-40 (2017).
103. Enhanced efficiency of thin film GaAs solar cells with plasmonic metal nanoparticles, Gurjit Singh and SS Verma, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects (Taylor & Francis), November 27, 2017, VOL. 39, NO. 21, 1–8 (IF=0.527) doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2017.1407840
104. Optical Response of Coated Iron Oxide (s) Nanoparticles towards Biomedical Applications, Pradeep Bhatia, S.S. Verma, and M.M. Sinha, American Journal of Optics and Photonics (Science Publishing Group), pp.x-x, vol. 5 (4) November 2017.
105. Size-dependent Optical Response of Magneto-plasmonic Core-shell Nanoparticles, Pradeep Bhatia, S.S. Verma, and M.M. Sinha, Advanced Nano Research (AIJR Publishers), Volume 1, Issue 1,pp. 01-13, 2018. (DOI:https://doi.org/10.21467/anr.1.1.1-13).
106. Size and Surrounding Medium Effect on Plasmonic Properties for Some Core-Shell Magneto-Plasmonic Nanospheres, Pradeep Bhatia, S.S. Verma, and M.M. Sinha, ISST Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 9 No. 1, (January – June 2018), pp. 35-38.
107. Optical Effects of Triangular Shaped Gold-Iron Nanoparticles, Pradeep Bhatia, S.S. Verma, and M.M. Sinha, Nano Science & Nano Technology: An Indian Journal (In press)
Theoretical studies on kinetics of N2O formation and destruction mechanisms from coal combustion at low temperature” (CSIR, New Delhi), for 6.00 lacs (2002-2005)
Copyright © 2019 , Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Longowal - 148106 Distt. Sangrur, Punjab, India
Developed & Maintained by Administrative Computer Services System (A.C.S.S), SLIET